A contentious issue since original negotiations of the CWC text began, here you can find a number of reports on non-lethal, incapacitating agents and riot control agents related to their coverage under the CWC.
More information on non-lethal and incapacitating agents can be found at the FAS “Non-Lethal Chemical Weapons” page.
- The SIPRI-Saskatchewan-Frankfurt Research Group produced a number of papers and factsheets on certain aspects of the implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention between 1993 and 1996.
- Issue no 24 of The CBW Conventions Bulletin (June 1994)
Guest article by Pierre Canonne: The Role of the Scientific Community Within
the Context of the Convention
Guest article by Karen Jansen: Disarming Iraq: Lessons for the Chemical Weapons
Progress in The Hague: 6th Quarterly Review
News Chronology: February – May 1994
Guidelines on Riot control Agents
- Issue no 51 of The CBW Conventions Bulletin (March 2001)
Editorial: Washington and the BWC Protocol negotiations
Invited article by Graham Pearson: Further chemical control regimes: narcotic
drugs and psychotropic substances
Progress in The Hague: 33rd Quarterly Review
Progress in Geneva: 15th Quarterly Review
Proceedings in South Africa: 4th Quarterly Review
News Chronology: November 2000 – January 2001
- First CWC Review Conference Paper No 4: The Danger to the Chemical Weapons Convention from Incapacitating Chemicals – Malcolm Dando – March 2003.
- U.S. Grapples with Use of Nonlethal Agents – Kerry Boyd, Arms Control Today – April 2003.
- A Nation at War: Weapons; U.S. Use of Tear Gas Could Violate Treaty, Critics Say – Nicholas Wade With Eric Schmitt – The New York Times – April 5, 2003.
- Military Authorized to Use Riot Control Agents in Iraq – Kerry Boyd, Arms Control Today – May 2003.
- Issue no 61 of The CBW Conventions Bulletin (September 2003)
Editorial: ‘Non-lethal’ weapons, the CWC and the BWC
Progress in The Hague: 43rd Quarterly Review
Report from Geneva: The Biological Weapons Convention New Process
News Chronology May-July 2003
- Senate Struggles with Riot Control Agent Policy – Michael Nguyen, Arms Control Today – January/February 2006.
- Convention in Peril? Riot Control Agents and the Chemical Weapons Ban – Kyle M. Ballard, Arms Control Today – September 2007.
- Incapacitating Chemical Weapons and the Chemical Weapons Convention – Alan Pearson, Center for Arms Control and Nonproliferation – Nov 18, 2007.
- News Analysis: Chemical Weapons Parlay’s Outcome Uncertain – Oliver Meier, Arms Control Today – March 2008.